Iarnród Éireann Culvert Inspections
About This Project
Murphy Surveys were required to complete general inspections of 22 culverts along the Dublin to Cork rail line. Iarnród Éireann is the Irish National Rail Network operator responsible for all urban, suburban and rural train and tram routes nationwide.
• Murphy Surveys were required to carry out an inspection of a number of culverts to determine the present condition of all elements of the structure and to identify all defects
• An inspection was carried out with the use of a CCTV camera, or where possible, with the use of confined space equipment
• All key dimensions were captured for the purpose of updating inventory data
• A detailed report was issued for each structure
Murphy Surveys inspected all elements as a General Engineering Inspection (GEI) in line with IÉ Standards CCE-TMS-408 (2015), Technical Standard for Structural Inspections and CCE-STR-GDN-2801 (2010) Guidance Notes for the Inspection of Bridges and Culverts.
Each structure was specifically checked for collapse/partial collapse, undermining and scour damage.
Each detailed report included an overall condition rating.
Each report submitted also included:
• A DCD culvert score card (Design, Condition and Deterioration rating)
• A photographic record of all substructure elements and defects identified
• A plan drawing – showing photo locations and defects
• Particular attention was given to check for collapse/partial collapse, undermining and scour damage
• The results of the inspection were recorded in such a way that the requirement for any further investigation or remedial works were defined
• All our team members hold a current PTS qualification
• All our team members are fully trained in the use of confined space equipment, including both the use of escape sets and full breathing apparatus
“Irish Rail has over 500 bridges that require underwater inspection and riverbed surveys. To date, Murphy Surveys have undertaken approximately 450 riverbed survey along with 280 underwater inspection for Irish Rail. We are very pleased with their underwater inspections, their riverbed surveys and the quality of their reporting. Keep up the good work!“
Cathal Bowe, Senior Engineer, Irish Rail
Dublin – Cork Line
Underwater CCTV Camera, iPEK Rovver 125 and DVR, Gas Monitor, Confined Space Escape Sets, Tripod and Winch