Underground Utility Surveys
Murphy Surveys provide highly accurate underground utility surveys that enables us to cut costs and risks for clients. Our clients include Bord Gais, NTA, Dublin City Council, Kildare County Council, Sisk and Lidl Ireland.
We use cutting edge technologies including Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) to detect, trace and map all of this information. We also provide highly accurate surveying of markings using Global Positioning Systems (GPS) or robotic total stations.
Underground Utility Surveys deliverables include 3D wireframe and model drawings of underground structures/ chambers and associated cable and pipe networks; 2D plan outputs; GIS outputs; Geo-referenced manhole photography; longitudinal sections & cross sectional views of pipework and detailed reports.
Benefits of carrying out professionally executed Underground Utility Detection Surveys
- The safety of the workforce and public
- Utility detection surveys minimise utility damage
- Minimise project delays
- Save delay and damage costs
- Knowing the constraints when designing and planning
- Saving costs through producing as-built records
- Reduces traffic management costs
- Reduces the amount of intrusive investigation such as slit trenching
- Underground utility surveys gives the client an overall view as opposed to slit trenching which usually covers only a small % of a site
- Promoting good relationships between client and surveyor
- Following PAS 128 ensures clarity, accountability and confidence
PAS 128 Compliant
The successful detection and mapping of buried utilities involves the combination of several techniques, the results of which are synthesized down to a single interpreted plot. The techniques and methodologies used in underground utility surveys will primarily depend upon the required outcome for the survey, the site conditions and the type of pipes or cables being targeted.
In Ireland, there are no agreed or published standards either for the detection, verification and location of underground utilities or the collection and recording of these data. Murphy Surveys carry out all our underground utility surveys to PAS 128 Specification for Underground Utility Detection, Verification and Location. This ensures clarity, accountability and confidence in our work.